I am so honored to have the opportunity to make a wedding cake for my sweet cousin Megan and her fiancé Nate. But Megan is allergic to wheat and dairy, so in this video I share with you the very last and BEST #GlutenFree and #DairyFree cake recipe you will ever need; make some raspberry filling (in the #DeluxeCookingBlender); and even whip up some dairy free frosting (not icing Heather, frosting) in my attempt to adventure with this. The results are startling… So, can a everyday cook pull off this feat? We shall see!
Print the Gluten and Dairy Free Vanilla Cake with frosting
Gluten and Dairy Free Vanilla Cake
- 1 cup of oil (canola, coconut, etc)
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature (or 200g of egg whites)
- 3 cups of Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Baking Flour (not all purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk of choice (almond, oat, coconut, etc)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable shortening, like Crisco (or any room temp butter)
- 2 tsps of vanilla extract
- 6 cups of powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons of water (or milk)
Directions for cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line the bottom of your baking tins with parchment and grease the sides of two 8” or 9″ pans.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the oil and sugar. Mix well and then add in eggs and beat on medium for a minute or until it looks frothy.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and add to the mixer. Turn the mixer on low and slowly add in your milk choice and you vanilla. Turn the mixer to medium and mix again for about one minute.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans (Best to weigh the pans if you want them even).
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the center of the cake isn’t wobbly and it springs back when touched.
- Allow the cakes to cool for several minutes before turning them out. Allow them to completely cool before filling or frosting.
Directions for frosting:
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat vegetable shortening and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar to your bowl one cup at a time (to prevent the powdered sugar atomic cloud). Add in the water/milk one tablespoon at a time until your frosting comes to the right consistency for you (sometimes that is all the liquid, sometimes it’s almost no liquid).
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days, or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Print the Raspberry Filling Recipe here
- 1lb of fresh or frozen raspberries + extra 6-7oz for finishing
- ¼ cup of water
- 2-4 tablespoons lemon juice (more of less to your tart liking)
- 4 tablespoons of cornstarch (for thicker filling use 5 Tablespoons of pectin instead)
- 2 ½ cups of sugar (reserved for second half of cooking)
Directions for Deluxe Cooking Blender:
- Add 1lb of berries, water, lemon juice, and cornstarch to the Deluxe Cooking Blender Pitcher
Set Blender to Jam and press go.
- When it beeps and tells you to ADD, add in your sugar and press go.
- Pour finished filling into a bowl and add extra 6-7oz of chopped berries. Mix well.
- Transfer to a bowl to cool in the refrigerator overnight or until set enough to fill your cake.
Directions for stovetop:
- Add 1lb of berries, lemon, water, and sugar to a saucepan and heat over medium-high. Stir the mixture until it begins to boil.
- When the mixture starts to bubble/boil, lower the heat to medium-low for 10-15 minutes.
- Optional: Pour the filling through a metal sieve to strain out the seedy pulp
- Combine the cornstarch with a little water to make a slurry.
- Add to your saucepan and stir until fully mixed
- Bring the saucepan back up to medium-high and stir constantly until the mixture begins to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low again and continue to stir for several minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool in the refrigerator overnight or until set enough to fill your cake.
MERCH is here: http://tee.pub/lic/zCPUJ9t3EZk
Visit my website at http://www.AdventuresinEverydayCooking.com
My Patreon https://www.patreon.com/adventuresineverydaycooking
My Pampered Chef website https://www.PamperedChef.com/pws/AECHeather/
Find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresinEverydayCooking
Find me on MeWe at https://mewe.com/group/5ff658139197222258ac649b
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/AECHeather
Follow me on Instagram at @AdventuresinEverydayCooking