Big Mac Copycat (and homemade buns)
I haven’t been to McDonald’s for a Big Mac in many years, but I do remember loving them! So when this recipe came strolling across my internets this week, I knew I had to try it (and make my own buns). Spoiler alert: This recipe is soooooo close! It’s a keeper.
Original recipe from All Recipes: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/256421/big-mac-clone/
Big Mac Copycat
Ingredients for burger:
- 2 lbs high fat ground beef
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 Tablespoons of sweet pickle relish
- 1 ½ teaspoons white wine vinegar (distilled white okay)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Prepared onion (finely minced)
- Lettuce, shredded
- Pickle slices
- American cheese
Ingredients for buns:
- 3 ½ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 cup water (110F)
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon instant yeast
- To make buns: Add dry ingredients to the bowl of your stand mixer (with dough hook). Slowly mix while adding the water into the center of your mixture. Add the butter before the mixture has pulled together in a ball. Turn the mixer to medium-high and knead for 5-7 minutes or until the dough ball is smooth and soft to the touch. Place in well oiled bowl and allow to rise to double in size (1-2 hours).
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and shape into tight balls. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten into 3 inch disks. Cover loosely and let rise again until visibly puffy.
- Brush with melted butter and egg wash before topping with any seeds.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 15-18 minutes.
- To make the special sauce: mix together mayonnaise, mustard, relish, and spices. Cover and place in the refrigerator until cold.
- To make the patties: measure out your ground beef into burger rounds according to the size of your buns (4-6 oz per patty). Salt & pepper both sides.
- Make sure your burger is at least ½ inch larger than your bun to account for shrinkage.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F. Place burgers on the tray of your air fryer and air fry for 8-12 minutes, turning once in the middle.
- To assemble: cut buns down the middle. For each sandwich you need one too and two bottoms.
- Spread special sauce on one bottom bun, top with shredded lettuce, one cooked patty and one slice of American cheese. On the second bottom bun, spread special sauce on both sides and place it over the already assembled bottom. On an upward facing bottom bun spread the minced onions, then the lettuce, then the pickles, then the second patty, and finally a slice of American cheese. Spread some special sauce on the inside of the last bun and place onto the cheese.
***Links to my favorite things****
🧂 Lynker Salt/Pepper Grinders (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/40PG6ej
🧤Oven gloves I use (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/3PesyCv
🧤FoodSaver FM5000 (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/3IdKyNr
👕 My MERCH is here: http://tee.pub/lic/zCPUJ9t3EZk
🥣 Visit my website at http://www.AdventuresinEverydayCooking.com
💞My Patreon https://www.patreon.com/adventuresineverydaycooking
🔪My Pampered Chef website https://www.PamperedChef.com/pws/AECHeather/
🖥️Find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresinEverydayCooking
🐤Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/AECHeather
📸Follow me on Instagram at @AdventuresinEverydayCooking
Edited by Kevin Bloomquist – Editing@Bloomquist.com