Norwegian Lefse (Air Fryer directions included)
What is Lefse? Lefse is a very thin traditional Norwegian potato flatbread (some call it a tortilla, or a crepe, or a pancake) that my family eats every year at our Lutefisk and Lefse family dinner (we also serve Swedish Meatballs). While I don’t have the traditional rolling pin (or cloths), I wanted to show you that the only thing you really need is some parchment paper and some patience (you also need a potato ricer) to make Lefse!
Special equipment needed: Potato Ricer (affiliate Link): https://amzn.to/3oKIS3N
- 10 pounds potatoes, peeled and cooked to soft
- ½ cup of melted butter
- ⅓ cup of heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons of table salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- more flour for rolling
- Potato Ricer
- Parchment paper
- Put the hot potatoes through a potato ricer.
- Mix in your melted butter, cream, salt, and sugar.
- Allow your mixture to cool to room temperature or place in the refrigerator overnight.
- When potatoes are completely cooled, stir in the flour. Test the dough for stickiness. If it’s too sticky, add more flour.
- Shape dough into 3 Tablespoon portions (the size of a golf ball). Allow them to rest for 5 minutes before rolling them out.
- Dust a piece of parchment paper with flour and place the dough in the middle. Lightly flour top of dough ball and place another parchment over the top. Lightly roll the lefse balls out into as round of a shape as you can manage. I can never manage that, so a rectangular oval works perfectly 😉 Try to get the lefse to about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cook on a hot (400 degree F/200 C) griddle until bubbles form and each side has browned. Or air fry on parchment squares at 400 for 8-10 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Place finished lefse between foil while you wait to serve.
MERCH is here: http://tee.pub/lic/zCPUJ9t3EZk
Visit my website at http://www.AdventuresinEverydayCooking.com
My Patreon https://www.patreon.com/adventuresineverydaycooking
My Pampered Chef website https://www.PamperedChef.com/pws/AECHeather/
Find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresinEverydayCooking
Find me on MeWe at https://mewe.com/group/5ff658139197222258ac649b
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/AECHeather
Follow me on Instagram at @AdventuresinEverydayCooking