12 Skills for the Everyday Cook – Spatchcock Chicken (Skill 2)
It’s my goal between now and Christmas to hone in on 12 Skills the Everyday Cook needs to know. Some of these are skills I don’t know and I’m just learning (so feel free to correct me, but be kind), while others are skills I know but i want to share because I feel like it’s a good one to learn and know.
The second skill I’m learning is Spatchcock Chicken! I’ve always been intimidated to even try to spatchcock a chicken, but it’s definitely something every home cook should have on their skillset.
Link to tools I used (personal website):
Kitchen Shears – https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/aecheather/shop/Kitchen+Tools/Cutlery/Kitchen+Shears/1593
Pastry Brush – https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/aecheather/shop/Kitchen+Tools/Utensils/Chef%27s+Silicone+Basting+Brush/1755
Half Sheet Pan – https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/aecheather/shop/Cookware+%26+Bakeware/Cookie+%26+Sheet+Pans/Half+Sheet+Pan/1767
Instant Read Thermometer – https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/aecheather/shop/Favorites/Favorites%3A+Weeknight+Dinners/Instant-Read+Food+Thermometer/100121
Cutting Board – https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/aecheather/shop/Featured+Collections/Everything+You+Never+Knew+You+Needed/Large+Grooved+Cutting+Board/1023
Lemon Garlic Rub – https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/aecheather/shop/Pantry/Seasonings/Lemon+Garlic+Rub/100503
1 Cup Prep Bowl – https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/aecheather/shop/Gifts/DIY/1-cup+Prep+Bowl+Set/1825
Chef’s Tongs – https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/aecheather/shop/Kitchen+Tools/Utensils/Large+Chef%27s+Tongs/2955
Oven Gloves – (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/3PesyCv
Chef’s Knife – https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/aecheather/shop/Kitchen+Tools/Cutlery/8%22+Chef%27s+Knife/1575
– Place chicken breast-side down, with the legs towards you.
– Using good sharp scissors, cut along each side of the tail (or parson’s nose) and backbone to remove it, cutting through the rib bones as you go.
– Open the chicken and clean up any extra bits that might offend you.
– Turn the chicken over and flatten the breastbone with the heel of your hand so that the meat is all one thickness (you’ll hear a crack).
– Season with oil/butter and dry seasoning
– Roast at 400°F for for 40 minutes or until the internal temperature of the bird reaches 155-160°F. Allow bird to rest 10 minutes for it to come to final temp of 165°F
– Watch bird for premature browning, and cover with foil.
#spatchcockchicken #12everydaycookingskills #AdventuresinEverydayCooking
Oven gloves I use (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/3PesyCv
MERCH is here: http://tee.pub/lic/zCPUJ9t3EZk
Visit my website at http://www.AdventuresinEverydayCooking.com
My Patreon https://www.patreon.com/adventuresineverydaycooking
My Pampered Chef website https://www.PamperedChef.com/pws/AECHeather/
Find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresinEverydayCooking
Find me on TikTok at https://www.tiktok.com/@aecheather
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/AECHeather
Follow me on Instagram at @AdventuresinEverydayCooking
Edited by Kevin Bloomquist – Editing@Bloomquist.com