Independence Day themed Battenberg Cake
The Battenberg Cake has always fascinated me, so today I’m going to give it a try. This cake entails a pattern of vanilla and almond sponge in the checkerboard shape, glued together with apricot jam/preserves, all wrapped in a homemade Marzipan. Oh my goodness this one is delicious!
Thank you @CupcakeJemma (and Sally and Dane) for inspiring everyone to make beautiful cakes– not that mine is beautiful but it’s a cake and it’s delicious.
You can find CupCake Jemma’s recipe at https://youtu.be/-eOSxGtpAKo
Ingredients for the sponge:
- 175 g unsalted butter, softened
- 175 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 140 g self-raising flour
- 50 g ground almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Food coloring
Ingredients for the Marzipan:
- 150 g ground almond flour
- 180 g powdered sugar
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 30 g of pasteurized egg whites
- Apricot jam
- Add your butter and sugar to a mixer on medium for 3-4 minutes or until smooth.
- Add your eggs one at a time and beat well until fluffy.
- Add in your self raising flour, ground almond flour, and baking powder. Turn your mixer to low and allow it to just come together.
- Divide your batter into two.
- Add almond extract to one of the batter bowls. Add vanilla extra to the other batter bowl. Mix well then choose your food coloring. Traditionally it is pink and a natural color. Usually the vanilla one is the colored sponge.
- Grease your tin and divide the batter between your slots and level.
- Bake for 170C 20-25 minutes
- In the meantime, make your marzipan. In the bowl of your food processor or stand mixer, add in almond flour and powdered sugar and mix well. Add in your egg whites and almond flour and mix until well combined. Pour the mixture out onto the counter and work together with your hands. If it’s too sticky add more powdered sugar. Wrap tightly in cling film so it doesn’t dry out before you use it. Cool your cakes completely.
- Stick your cakes together using apricot jam.
- Roll out your marzipan a little at a time and stick to the sides of your battenberg and trim off the excess.
***Links to my favorite things****
🧂 Lynker Salt/Pepper Grinders (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/40PG6ej
🧤Oven gloves I use (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/3PesyCv
🧤FoodSaver FM5000 (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/3IdKyNr
👕 My MERCH is here: http://tee.pub/lic/zCPUJ9t3EZk
🥣 Visit my website at http://www.AdventuresinEverydayCooking.com
💞My Patreon https://www.patreon.com/adventuresineverydaycooking
🔪My Pampered Chef website https://www.PamperedChef.com/pws/AECHeather/
🖥️Find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresinEverydayCooking
🐤Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/AECHeather
📸Follow me on Instagram at @AdventuresinEverydayCooking
Edited by Kevin Bloomquist – Editing@Bloomquist.com