#AECRoadTrip RECIPE THREE finds us in Arizona (at my sister-in-laws home) where we were treated to a brand new experience… No soak Instant Pot beans made with Beef (not pork). Say what?! At first I was hesitant because, hello… bacon…. but after a taste, WOW was I sold. And since my sister has a pork allergy, you better believe this is going to be in my summer recipe mix.
So easy (so cheap) and so so good!
Beef & Beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 can chopped green chilies
- 1 ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1-2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1-2 beef shanks
- 1 lb pinto beans rinsed, sorted, and picked through
- 1 bottle BBQ sauce of choice OPTIONAL
- Turn pressure cooker to saute/sear and add olive oil. When the oil shimmers, add the onions and saute until soft.
- Add green chilies and spices and saute just 30-60 seconds.
- Add broth, water, beans, and beef shanks.
- Place lid on the pot and seal. Set to 50-60 minutes on high pressure.
- When time is up, allow to natural pressure release at least 20 minutes.
- Release remaining pressure, fish out the bones & bay leaves, and if you are adding BBQ sauce to the pot, do that now. Residual heat will warm the sauce.