Garlic Noodles (San Francisco – Chef John’s recipe)
If you are from the Bay Area, no doubt you’ve had these noodles at many of the restaurants around San Francisco. They are so, so good, that they became the #1 ordered item for take-out in 2020! So when I stumbled across Chef John’s recipe on AllRecipes.com you better believe this Northern California native was ready and more than willing to try! But we are going to do one better… we are making our noodles from scratch today! You’ll be surprised at just how easy it is! Yumm!
Chef John’s recipe can be found here: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/270770/garlic-noodles/
Print your Sausage Gumbo here:
Fresh Pasta Dough
- 3 large eggs, beaten (150g)
- 2 cups of flour (220g)
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil (13g)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (5g)
- Add flour and salt to the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Start on low to mix together dry ingredients.
- Keeping the mixer on, add oil and eggs to the middle (or as close as possible– this will simulate the traditional mixing by hand).
- Allow the dough to come together slowly (you may need to coax the flour down to incorporate fully).
- As soon as the flour is completely incorporated, turn the mixer up and allow the mixer to knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and stretchy.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and wrap your smooth, stretchy dough in plastic wrap and let rest for at least 30 minutes (but you can make the dough ahead of time and store it wrapped in the refrigerator).
- Once rested, divide the dough and roll out into your desired noodle size.
Ingredients for sauce:
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon of sea same oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
Ingredients for Noodles:
- 4 Tablespoons of butter
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 6 ounces of spaghetti, cooked and warm
- ½ cup of reserved salted pasta water
- ¼ cup grated parmigiano
- 1 Tablespoon green onion, sliced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Mix together sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté only 30 seconds.
- Add in sauce and immediately remove from the heat.
- Add in cooked spaghetti and toss to coat.
- Add in the cheese and toss to combine.
- Add in some of the reserved pasta water if the noodles look too dry.
- Plate noodles and top with sliced green onions amd red pepper flakes.
Make your own pasta: to the bowl of your stand mixer affixed with the dough hook, add 2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, and 3 eggs. Start the mixer on low until the flour has all been moistened. Switch to medium high and knead for 10 minutes. At the end of ten minutes your dough should be smooth but not sticky. If it’s sticky, knead on the counter with a little extra flour until it doesn’t stick to your hands. Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and allow it to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. Divide dough in 4 pieces and roll to your desired thickness. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and drop fresh noodles into the water for 90 seconds for al dente.
***Links to my favorite things****
🧂 Lynker Salt/Pepper Grinders (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/40PG6ej
🧤Oven gloves I use (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/3PesyCv
🧤FoodSaver FM5000 (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/3IdKyNr
👕 My MERCH is here: http://tee.pub/lic/zCPUJ9t3EZk
🥣 Visit my website at http://www.AdventuresinEverydayCooking.com
💞My Patreon https://www.patreon.com/adventuresineverydaycooking
🔪My Pampered Chef website https://www.PamperedChef.com/pws/AECHeather/
🖥️Find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresinEverydayCooking
🐤Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/AECHeather
📸Follow me on Instagram at @AdventuresinEverydayCooking
Edited by Kevin Bloomquist – Editing@Bloomquist.com