Not Your Mother’s Shepherd’s Pie was born out of the desire to use up the left overs in the fridge while still maintaining a quick weeknight meal that the kids request!
This recipe can be tailored to your own liking and it can be spiced up or down. The current spicy rating is mild (Aleppo chilies are not hot, but they are flavorful). Made in the Pampered Chef 12 inch Cast Iron Skillet, this meal was a true one dish wonder.
Special ingredients used: None
Not your Mother’s Shepherd’s Pie
- Cast Iron
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (or ground lamb)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup black olives sliced
- 6 slices bacon cooked, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 tsp Aleppo chili flakes or 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 large eggs beaten
- 2 cups cheese shredded
- 4 cups mashed potatoes seasoned to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large cast iron skillet, add oil, onions, peppers and ground beef. Cook until beef has been browned.
- Add in seasonings and mix well.
- Add black olives and bacon and turn off the heat.
- Add beaten eggs to your meat mixture and mix well.
- Top with mashed potatoes (or cauliflower mash) then add an even layer of cheese to coat the mash.
- Bake in your oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Optional, garnish with cilantro, sour cream, tomatoes, and black olives.