If you have some sourdough discard you need to use up, you simply must try this amazing recipe! It’s seriously some of the best pumpkin bread I’ve had in a long time!
Sourdough Discard Pumpkin Bread
First ingredient bowl:
- 1 ⅔ cups all purpose flour 200g
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tsp pumpkin spice seasoning
Second ingredient bowl:
- 1 cup white sugar 200g
- 3 eggs (room temp)
- ⅔ cup coconut oil 140g
- 1 cup unfed sourdough starter 227g
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin 225g
- ⅓ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds) 40g
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). If you are using a glad or metal loaf pan, line with parchment paper and grease (spray with oil). If you are using a stoneware loaf pan, you don't have to line or grease if you do not wish to.
- Combine all ingredients in the First ingredient bowl section. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine all ingredients in the Second ingredient bowl section and whisk together until combined.
- Add the First bowl to the Second bowl, a little at a time, mixing to incorporate after every addition.
- Add batter to the loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Heat coconut oil and honey in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or until they are liquid and easily mixed. Poor over the top of the pepitas and stir to coat. Sprinkle "candied" pepitas onto the top of the batter in the loaf pan.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until center of the loaf is done. If your loaf browns too quickly, cover with foil.
- Allow to cool 20 minutes in the pan before removing.