Swiss Cake Roll (bonus, it’s gluten free but you’ll never know it!)
This Swiss Cake Roll is probably the most requested dessert of my entire life. Deliciously decadent and bonus–it’s gluten free, but you’d never know it. This is simply an amazing roll! This dessert tastes like a million bucks, and if you roll better than me, it’ll look it too!
Gluten Free Swiss Cake Roll
Ingredients for phase one:
- 1 ½ cups of gluten free baking flour*
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum*
- 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup regular sugar
- ½ cup + 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoons baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 9 ½ tablespoons of butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup warm coffee
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
Ingredients for phase two:
- ¼ -½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup melted dark chocolate
Ingredients for filling:
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temp
- 2 Tablespoons of of vegetable shortening, room temp
- 8 ounces marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted (plus more if needed)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
Ingredients for glaze:
- 1 -2 cups dark chocolate, chopped
Directions phase one:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two(2) – 9 inch cake tins.
- Place all dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment start on low until well combined. While the mixer runs, add butter, egg, and vanilla and mix until crumbly.
- Add in coffee and vinegar. Once fully incorporated, turn the mixer to medium and beat for 2 full minutes.
- Transfer batter to pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Do not underbake. Cool completely.
Directions phase two:
- Crumble cooled cake into a mixing bowl until it’s in fine crumbles.
- Add heavy cream, a little at a time until it starts to stick together like a cake pop (sometimes it takes only ¼ cup of heavy cream and sometimes it’s a little more).
- Add melted dark chocolate and mix thoroughly until it sticks together in a ball. Press together.
- Lay the ball onto a piece of parchment paper and put another piece over the top. Roll your dough into a 10×15 rectangle or until the cake is ¼ inch thick.
Directions for filling:
- In the bowl of your clean stand mixer, beat butter and shortening until fluffy.
- Add in the marshmallow fluff and beat until incorporated.
- Add sifted powdered sugar and beat until fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Add heavy cream and mix until incorporated, then increase speed to medium high and beat for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. If the filling is still loose, add ¼ – ½ more powdered sugar until you get desired consistency.
- Spread onto cooled cake.
- Using the help of your parchment, roll your cake like a jelly roll. Secure it with the parchment and refrigerate it for at least an hour.
Directions for glaze:
- Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt on 50% power for 45 seconds. Stir and continue to melt in 15 second blasts or until most of the chocolate has melted. Stir well until residual heat melts the rest of the chocolate.
- Unwrap cold cake and set it on a wire rack.
- Pour melted chocolate over the cold cake, using an offset spreader to move the chocolate around to cover the cake completely.
- Refrigerate another 60 minutes before serving.
- Store leftovers (like there will be any) in the refrigerator.
* I have used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour, King Arthur’s Gluten-Free Measure to Flour, Trader Joe’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour, and Cup for Cup Multipurpose Gluten Free. Flour.
**Omit xanthan gum if your mix already contains it
***Links to my favorite things****
🧤Oven gloves I use (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/3PesyCv
🧤FoodSaver FM5000 (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/3IdKyNr
👕 My MERCH is here: http://tee.pub/lic/zCPUJ9t3EZk
🥣 Visit my website at http://www.AdventuresinEverydayCooking.com
💞My Patreon https://www.patreon.com/adventuresineverydaycooking
🔪My Pampered Chef website https://www.PamperedChef.com/pws/AECHeather/
🖥️Find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresinEverydayCooking
🐤Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/AECHeather
📸Follow me on Instagram at @AdventuresinEverydayCooking
Edited by Kevin Bloomquist – Editing@Bloomquist.com