After hearing I was making Zuppa Toscana this last week, my friend requested I try another Olive Garden copycat recipe too — Pasta e Fagioli! And since I’d never made this one, I was all in! This tomato based noodle soup is a one pot soup that will easily become a staple soup in my house! Seriously simple to make and the flavor profile was fantastic! 🙂
Pasta E Fagioli Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 3 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¾ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dry ditalini pasta, cooked
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley (or 3 Tablespoons of fresh)
- Serving: shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Brown ground beef. Drain fat from beef and transfer the beef to a plate, set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in the same pot and add onions, carrots, and celery. Saute about 6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and saute 1 minute only.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, sugar, basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram and cooked beef.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- At this point you may need to add ½-1 cup of water if needed to make soupier if desired.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare ditalini pasta according to directions on package, cooking to al dente.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to soup along with kidney beans and great northern beans. Allow to cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in parsley, serve warm with Parmesan cheese.
MERCH is here: http://tee.pub/lic/zCPUJ9t3EZk
Visit my website at http://www.AdventuresinEverydayCooking.com
My Patreon https://www.patreon.com/adventuresineverydaycooking
My Pampered Chef website https://www.PamperedChef.com/pws/AECHeather/
Find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresinEverydayCooking
Find me on MeWe at https://mewe.com/group/5ff658139197222258ac649b
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/AECHeather
Follow me on Instagram at @AdventuresinEverydayCooking